Vacancy Closing Date: Friday, 12 August, 2022
Type:Individual Consultant – 50 Days Input Over 18 Months
All suitably qualified SADC Region citizens are welcome to apply.
The Global Water Partnership- Southern Africa (GWP- SA) partnered with the SADCGMI to implement the Groundwater component of the Global Environmental Facility (GEF)-funded “Management of competing water uses and associated ecosystems in Pungwe, Buzi and Save (BUPUSA) basins” project that is being implemented by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and executed by Global Water Partnership (GWP-SA) together with the Government of Mozambique (GoM) and Government of Zimbabwe (GoZ). The project’s main objective is to strengthen the management of transboundary water resources and connected ecosystems for sustained ecological benefits and improved resilience for riparian communities. GWP-SA and SADC-GMI entered into a Grant Agreement to operationalise the implementation arrangements for groundwater-related work across all the project components.
These TORs are for the position of a Project Hydrologist for the BUPUSA project. This position is for an Individual Consultant who will work from their station with frequent travel to the SADC-GMI offices hosted by the Centre for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) Campus, Pretoria, South Africa, as well as to the two BUPUSA riparian states – Mozambique and Zimbabwe. The Project Hydrologist will liaise with the SADC-GMI Team Leader, and work under the guidance of the BUPUSA project’s Senior Hydrogeologist in conceptualising groundwater-surface water interactions and Hydrological modelling.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The key duties and responsibilities will be to contribute to the following project deliverables in collaboration with the project’s Senior Hydrogeologist:
- Technical Working Paper and PowerPoint Presentation on preliminary findings for the hydrogeological characterisation of the basin, including identification of hotspots.
- Specialist environmental flows (E-flows) Hydrogeology report.
- Specialist Hydrogeology Transboundary Diagnostic Analysis (TDA) report.
- Specialist Hydrogeology Strategic Action Plan (SAP) report including recommendations on the approach for the development of a joint Groundwater Strategy.
NB: – The Consultant’s direct costs for work-related travel will be met by the Client using the Client’s standard policies for such travel. Payment of Professional fees will be based on deliverables as shown above.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
The successful candidate, who should be a SADC citizen, will have the following qualifications and competencies:
- At least a bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline (Civil/Water), Hydrology or similar.
- 10 years of experience in hydrological modelling of large river basins, working in areas with scarce data, knowledge of groundwater-surface water interactions and baseflow calculations, e-flows, and Groundwater Dependent Ecosystems.
- Should have experience with at least two projects of a similar magnitude in Southern Africa.
- Fluency in English is mandatory and working knowledge of Portuguese is desirable.
Duration of Assignment
The successful Project Hydrologist will be offered a performance-based contract for a cumulative 50 person-days deployed over a period of 18 months.