Vacancy Closing Date: Friday, 6 May, 2022
Type: Full Time Position
The Southern African Development Community Groundwater Management Institute (SADC-GMI), a subsidiary of the SADC Secretariat, is established as a Centre of Excellence on sustainable groundwater management issues in the SADC region. SADC-GMI is hosted by the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) Pretoria, South Africa on behalf of and under the strategic guidance of the SADC Secretariat, Directorate of Infrastructure and Services –Water Division, in Gaborone, Botswana. Please visit www.sadc-gmi.org to see full Terms of Reference for the position.
This is a full-time position based at the SADC-GMI Head Office in Pretoria, South Africa, with possible travel to the 16 SADC Member States. The Project Assistant will support the SADC-GMI staff on administration, finance, and procurement functions. S/he will work and report directly to the Head of Finance and Administration) and assist the Procurement and Grants Specialist.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the Head of Finance and Administration and the SADC-GMI staff in efficient records and information management through maintaining an up-to-date central filing system for all activities of the SADC-GMI including contracts, events, reports, travel, meeting minutes, assets, etc.
- In charge of front office management which includes receiving and directing phone calls, receiving, and directing visitors, distributing brochures, and responding to general enquiries as delegated.
- Coordinating general office administration and logistics such as cleanliness, functionality of facilities and equipment, stationery, and sundry services.
- Maintaining the SADC-GMI diary of events, meetings, travel schedules as well as taking minutes of internal and external meetings.
- Assist in coordinating air and ground transport, accommodation and visa requirements for the SADC-GMI team members, directors, consultants, and other stakeholders as necessary for travel within the SADC region and beyond.
- Receive instruments/equipment purchased by the SADC-GMI and ensuring that Company’s asset register is up to date.
- Assist the Executive Director in the implementation of Human Resources policies compliant with the status of SADC-GMI in the Republic of South Africa and in SADC.
- Support SADC-GMI operations to comply with the Companies Act No 71 of 2008 of South Africa.
- Assist the Executive Director in calling office meetings, taking minutes and timely distribution.
- Support the budgeting and financial management function of the SADC-GMI through following up suppliers and expenses reconciliations.
- Assist in effecting and reconciling travel expenses and claims
- Assist in ensuring that funds owed to the SADC-GMI are received as scheduled.
- Assist in ensuring that SADC-GMI’s creditors are paid on time.
- Assist in ensuring that record keeping, and reporting is in compliance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Support in the preparation of the work plan and budget, monitor its implementation and production of monthly, quarterly, half-yearly, adhoc and yearly reports as necessary.
- Assist in the preparation and review of project concepts, Terms of References, and other procurement documents,
- Support and participate in activities of the Procurement Unit which include implementing the provisions of the SADC-GMI Procurement Manual, Sub-Grant Manual, and the Sustainable Groundwater Management in SADC Member States project documents
- Support procurement of office supplies
- Participate in the execution of SADC-GMI events which includes acquisition of venues, equipment, catering, production and distribution of relevant materials, invitations, and follow-ups.
- Assist the Procurement Specialist in coordinating logistics for air and ground transport, accommodation, and visa requirements for the SADC-GMI Members of the Board and team members as necessary for travel within the SADC region and beyond
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Executive Director of SADC-GMI.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
This position requires an incumbent with the following qualifications and skills:
- A minimum of a degree from a recognized institution in administration, accounting, economics, engineering, project management, procurement, or other field relevant to the job
- At least 5 years work experience in administration, finance, and procurement related functions.
- Capabilities to successfully discharge procurement, office administration, management and secretarial functions is a requirement
- Professional level proficiency in general computer software applications is mandatory, particularly Internet and MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint.
- Proven ability to support the preparation of reports.
- Proven previous working experience in similar fields in the SADC region in the water sector is desirable.
- Previous working experience as a member of a multi-racial and multi-national team is a requirement.
Duration of Assignment
The successful candidate will be offered a full-time contract for a period of 36 months with an option for extension, thereafter, depending on satisfactory performance and
the availability of funding.
As a reputable regional organisation, SADC-GMI will offer the successful candidate a commensurate competitive salary.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified South African citizens to fill this position. The successful incumbent will be based in Pretoria, South Africa.
View the full job descriptions and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Friday 06 May 2022 to: